There’s just something about a morning coffee/espresso that gives a higher enjoyability in which to start the day.
Adding coconut oil to your morning coffee will make you feel energized, alert and focused without the traditional coffee crash. Coconut oil also supports healthy body fat metabolism and can help increase muscle mass.
Coconut oil is mostly made up of the medium-chain triglyceride (MCT), lauric acid (about 45-50%). Some advantages of MCT’s include:
- MCTs are absorbed quickly by the body (digestion) and can be used for immediate energy;
- MCTs enhance ketone production which have therapeutic (energy/cognitive) and nitrogen retention (protein sparing) advantages;
- MCTs have been shown to boost immune function;
- MCT rich diets have been shown to increase metabolic rates; and
- MCT rich diets shown to better reduce hunger/suppress appetite.
The potential to not only have more immediate and stable energy but also control hunger/appetite better (reducing rebound eating tendencies), makes it a no brainer for a lasting lean lifestyle plan.
Coconut Oil Coffee
Just 3 easy steps to enjoy this energy boosting drink:
- Put your coconut oil in a cup (1-2 tablespoons);
- Add in your hot coffee or espresso (tea is also an option);
- Stir and enjoy.
For variation you can also add collagen and some cinnamon, or to make the infamous Bulletproof Coffee you can add some grass-fed butter!
Why coffee before training? Caffeine, of course. Caffeine triggers the muscles to start using fat as an energy source rather than carbohydrate sugars. Some of the other benefits of coffee taken pre-workout include:
- Increased athletic endurance performance;
- Increased strength and power performance;
- Reduced perceived exertion level.
As little as 3-5 milligrams of caffeine (per kilo of body weight) is all that is required. For most people, that is roughly 1-2 espresso coffee’s taken within the final 60-90 min prior to a workout or race.
It takes nearly twice as much Red Bull and nearly 3 times as much tea to equal the caffeine in coffee.
Try it out for yourself and tell me what you think of it.